Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Old Tales

Books affect our life in so many ways. They can change the way we see the world. I think they bring back to us the magic and the mystery that we sometimes lose sight of. In my opinion, particularly children's books. I mean think about it, those are some of the first stories that you are exposed to. They open your mind to the possibility of the extraordinary.    

A few months ago, I went to Barnes and Noble with my mom to find a children's book for a baby shower. It was my stepbrother's wife that was having the shower. Instead of cards, she asked for books. I had so much fun looking through all the kids books. I saw quite a few books that I had read when I was little. Just seeing them brought back the memories of sitting with my mom, having her read to me. It was hard to pick just one book because their were so many that had brought happy memories to me growing that I wanted to pass along to this new family.

My oldest brother, Adam, grew up reading Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. My mom would read it to him all the time. My mom always instilled in us a love of reading. Adam is turning 27 this year, and yet this story continues to affect him. His favorite childhood book is now a tattoo on his arm. Whenever he looks at it, he is reminded of the many times our mom would read the story and the happiness attached to it. This story has stayed with him throughout all the triumphs and the sorrows. One of my favorite books growing up was Corduroy by Don Freeman. This was about a teddy bear who desperately wanted someone to buy him. When a little girl wanted him, her mother said no because Corduroy was missing a button. After looking all night for a button, the next day Corduroy was bought by the little girl and she gives him a button for his overalls. This book had a happy ending as most kids books do, but it also has a deeper meaning then what's on the surface. This book touches on that basic need to belong. We all want to be accepted and loved for who we are. I think that's a pretty deep message for a children's book to make. It goes to show that just because its a book for little kids doesn't older people can't benefit from it as well.

That's why I believe books change us. They help to shape who we are and how we see the world. They teach valuable lessens that we can take into adulthood. Take my brother for example. His favorite book from childhood was about a boy who doesn't fit in so he goes to this world of incredible creatures and learns that everything isn't always what it seems. I believe there are many lessons worth learning in not just kids books but in all books. From this one, my brother learned about making the right choice for you and to see that being different isn't something to be afraid of.

                                    
                                    


No comments:

Post a Comment