Wednesday, October 21, 2015

The Dud

Have you ever gone to the library, or the bookstore and found a book that sounds awesome? The cover makes your eyes pop. The title grabs your attention, and the dust jacket pulls you into the story. At this point, I'm pretty excited and this process happens with a few books in a trip to the bookstore. So, I add the book to my list (which never stops growing) and I'll order it from the library. Depending if its a popular book and where its being sent from it can take a few weeks before the book is in. Then there is nothing to do but wait, wait, and wait.....


A FEW WEEKS LATER....


Finally the book is in!! Then I head over to the library to pick it up. This trip usually ends with me leaving with more than books then I planned to leave with because I have to check out the new releases. Then I finally make it over to the check out counter, check out my book(s), and head home. Once I get home, I have a whole process of filing my books. When that is done I settle in and start reading my book. Now this is where things get a little dicey....


This awesome book that I've waited weeks for and had the anticipation build turns out to be a Dud. The Dud is the book that sounds great until you actually start reading. My experience is that it starts off kind of slow but some books take time to pick up. So I keep reading thinking that it'll get better. Unfortunately, that isn't the case with a Dud. The book doesn't pick up. It drags and drags. But I'm usually optimistic and I keep going. But when I do admit defeat it usually ends up that I'm already in the middle of the book and I that point I feel like I can't just stop. So I push myself to finish the rest of the book. What I thought would be a really awesome book turned out to be weeks worth of torture trying to finish it. I hate calling it quits on a book which is probably why I always end up in the middle before I call it what it is.


Duds really suck and that's putting it mildly. I think the Duds are some of the reason why more people don't read. They either keep picking Duds or found a Dud and lost interest. Another problem I find with them is that you never know if a book is going to be one. Any time I pick out a book there is a chance it could turn out to be a Dud. That's one of the risks with books but I believe that the great books far out number the Duds. In short, Duds are an inevitable part of reading but I think the risk is defiantly worth it, especially when I find books than keep me turning page after page.    


2 comments:

  1. I hate when I'm so excited to read a book and all the reviews are good and then I hate it! Or if a book ending is terrible but I liked the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when I'm so excited to read a book and all the reviews are good and then I hate it! Or if a book ending is terrible but I liked the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete